Friday, October 12, 2007

The Midnight Show

Do you love writing spec scripts as much as I do?

All right. For posterity, for the bookmark in time, for the reminder for myself, the next original script I intend to concentrate on is going to be called "The Midnight Show". Will I finish it? Will it become one of those delightful things I develop halfway before shelving? Place your fucking bets.

What's it about, you ask? Ohhh, so many things, really... Primarily, though, it's about me trying to get a payday.

Found a good BBS exclusively for WGA members. Strike fears/speculation are rampant. There's a big informational meeting on the 18th that I'm going to attend. You wanna talk horror, this shit is keeping me up at night.

There's such a range of members in the WGA, the strike affects people in different ways. Yes, there are the A-list writers who get paid the serious bucks who'll be able to weather the strike a lot easier than many others. For me, I'm just starting out and this seriously disrupts the momentum I was developing. A strike can derail a person's career.

I'll be okay in the long run. I know I will. It's the short-term that's the concern. The remainder of this month. And depending on what happens November 1st, the next six months.

49 Up played on PBS HD this week. Fascinating movie. Seeing how these people's lives evolve over the years. They tagged on a little interview with Apted at the end where he talks about how he approaches each installment of the series as a blank slate, every 7 years. Each movie has a different feeling depending on where the subjects are in their lives. Some of the movies are a bit more optimistic. Some are darker and uncertain. "49" is more contemplative, as the subjects start to question their relationship to the actual series, and how their lives have been depicted.

I'm hoping I'm going to be in a much easier place when I hit 35. Hard to believe that's just a little over 3 years away.

"I give you three months before you crack..." hectored the Gay Horse.

Sleepless Shuffled 5:
1. "All Because of You", U2
2. "Fistful of Love", Antony and the Johnsons (with Lou Reed)
3. "You Got No Right", Velvet Revolver
4. "Born of a Broken Man", Rage Against the Machine
5. "Sweet Little Sister", Skid Row
Bloodshot Bonus:
"Trouble on the Line", Loretta Lynne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home