Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wiitard

Don't you just love weddings??

I fucking adore them rotten.

So here's the deal, and it's sort of an preemptive apology...

My dear, dear friends Emma & Nick got married over the weekend and I bought them a Nintendo Wii as a wedding gift. They had registered for it on Amazon(.com), so it wasn't a completely random offering. I guess it should serve as a backstory that Emma had been wanting to try out my Wii for months, and I just never got around to inviting them over to the Fortress of Solitude 2.0...

Thing is, truth told, I've bought them a product that I don't entirely believe in.

As astonishingly successful as the console has been, I don't really know one Wii-owner whose Wii isn't collecting dust right now.

It's the videogame console for people who don't really play videogames, which is theoretically brilliant... but in effect, you wind up with a console that offers tremendously shallow gameplay. The most successful games seem to be the ones that are a collection of mini-games. And some of those games can be fucking fun. But let me tell you, the fun runs out... and you're left with a pricey box that only gets fondled when there's some curious party-goers who want to see what all the fuss is about...

I want to be wrong, though. I want E+N to really get a kick out of the Wii. I want them to embrace it as their only console. I want to recommend and let them borrow games I think they'd enjoy.

You buy folks a wedding gift, you hope it's going to be something they can cherish for years. I just don't want to think that I've purchased them an expensive dust-catcher.

xXx xXx xXx


THREE WEEKS LATER, on CRAIGSLIST:

Subject: FS, Lightly Used Wii, $350 (or best offer)

Literally played with it for just about 5 minutes total, then packed it back into the box. Call Emma @ ###-###-#### for info on pickup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home