Thursday, November 12, 2009

Last Statement

My last "live" update from the Fortress of Solitude 2.0.

Kathy the broker called me Wednesday morning, asking if one of her broker partners could quickly show the place in the afternoon. Assured me that they would be prepared for the fact that the place would be riddled with boxes.

It helped put a fire under me to do some extra clearing up. The broker and his client were really nice. They probably spent two minutes here before thanking me and taking off.

These final days and hours before a move really suck. Doesn't help when you're not too thrilled about where you're moving to. Holding out on packing the final creature comforts. Waiting till Thursday night to pull the plug on the computer and the television.

Wednesday, my last load of laundry done. Last pick-up from the dry cleaners.

Thursday, making time for a farewell run at the neighborhood gym. I should try to drop by the new place and do some prep for the move-in, too.

I do loathe the chaotic nature of moves. Trying to consider everything that can go wrong when you're having perfect strangers transport all your worldly possessions. I'm mildly comforted knowing that I've gone through some difficult moves before...

The move from the West Village to Chinatown was a disorganized mess. Two cars and a gang of friends-of-friends.

The move from Chinatown to Park Slope was a lot smoother. U-Haul van and a more organized group of friends.

The move from Park Slope to "Metrotech" (which sounds like a place where they'd have Robocop patrolling the lawless streets) was my first experience hiring movers. There was a freight elevator there which helped a lot.

The move from Metrotech to the Upper West Side went relatively well, too. Hired movers again. It was a lot more expensive than I'd hoped for -- and by that time the Metrotech building's freight elevator wasn't operational -- but it got done.

(There was also the time I went out to Cali to help my ex's parent move, which was an astounding nightmare.)

Of course, I list these for my own reassurance. I've made it through more difficult moves. People move all the time. Farther distances. Across state lines. Across the country. I just get wound up when there are a lot of factors outside of my control. Money is exceptionally tight, as well, and I need to make sure I leave here cleanly so I get my deposit back.

A lot of words here and not very much said.

I'm sad to leave. Anxious about the new home on many levels. But it is needful. A strategic move with an eye on the long-term goals.

I'm ready, Warden.

[If you're looking for a real bummer, you can browse through the last statements from executed offenders.]

1 Comments:

Blogger Raed Moustafa said...

Wow: you certainly don't have sex like, you were, this, smart.

11/08/2022 08:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home