Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Made Up Man

You might have to register to read this, but this is a good read.

Best not to watch this video till you've read the whole article, else it won't mean nothin:


Assuming you're not going to immediately go through the trouble of reading that article (written by the writer of "A History of Violence"), let me start off with a blank slate. I am endlessly fascinated by what lonely people will do.

What lonely people will buy.

What lonely people will delude themselves with.

There's a difference between stupidity and desperation. You have a need that is great enough and all sorts of things seem possible.

But what about the person that preys on the lonely? What's going through her head?

---

Same people who assume I've been living the high life are making it more difficult for me as I contemplate having to go back to office work, in the shadow of a Writers Guild strike.

To recap, yes, I've enjoyed a really great breakthrough and I have done well with it, but this strike business hits at a really awful time when I was hoping to get more assignment work. This past year, I've been getting paid enough to cover my costs but not enough to really save it away. And there may as well be a strike going on now because there's a freeze on hiring for assignments.

If a strike happens, who knows how long it will last and how quickly things could pick up for me once it's settled. Most of the industry people I've talked to have assumed that the Writers Guild would postpone striking, and instead align with the Screen Actors Guild when their contract's up in June 2008. It appears that the leaders of our guild had other plans...

I know this is all just a lot of noise to most of the people who read this. I just find it particularly annoying when people respond to my predicament with what amounts to, "Wow, sucks for you."




"Wow... sucks for you," cackled the Gay Horse.

"You're going to the glue factory, motherfucker," whispered Malice.

This is why the blog is called "Misanthropy Central".

Because humankind is hateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home