Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bastard Pop


I've been listening to "Numb / Encore" over and over again. It's the Jay Z / Linkin Park smashup that's featured prominently in the Miami Vice trailer. I really like how it's used in those trailers. I think it's so cool.

I told a friend that music inspires my writing. He looked at me quizzically and asked, "You mean, like, the lyrics?" But it's not just the lyrics. Many times, it's in spite of the lyrics. Music can create a mood. The reason they're used in these big movie trailers is that they can establish feelings immediately.

Some songs establish vengeance. Some establish vulnerability. Some are just flat-out cocky. So when I say I'm inspired by music, I try to evoke certain moods without the assistance of the music.

Fucking christ, I'm hungover today. It is torture to type.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home