Friday, June 02, 2006

Ode to Ron Shelton


No, I haven't seen all his films. But any filmmaker who can make me care about baseball, basketball (+ Jeopardy), golf and another corrupt LAPD movie has got to be worth something.

Just watched BULL DURHAM for the first time, perhaps, since I saw it in the theaters when I was 12. Suffice it to say, I appreciated it a lot more this time. As a kid who wasn't interested in baseball, it was probably easier for me to appreciate a movie that wasn't so adult in nature. I didn't get BULL DURHAM as a 12-year-old kid. I get it now. It's remarkably mature in a way you don't see too often. Terribly smart screenplay. Intelligent and fun and kind of moving. I still don't give two shits about sports, but that's the reason I respect a movie that makes me care about them. Like a movie that makes you afraid of sharks, or spaceballs.

In other news, tonight I've done something that could significantly change my life. It could also change absolutely nothing. (That's the significance of "could".) Either way, I feel good about it. At least right now. I've been wringing my hands about this for over a week, but I honestly feel like I've done what I needed to do.

Those of you who know... know. For those of you who don't, I guess this is just another fucking cryptogram of an entry. For that, as ever, my heartfelt apologies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home