Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Who Do You Think You're Messing With, Girl?


Despite Nicko's attempt to keep me from writing last night, I am dedicated to finishing this play I'm working on. Social engagements are being kept to a minimum. (SPF obligations being an obvious exception.) I am a man with something to prove.

I used to be afraid of becoming a "hack". When you're growing up and finding your voice as a writer, I think you're prone to mimicking writers you like. When I was into Douglas Adams, my stories aped his narrative style, spinning off into crazy tangents. When I was in my Stephen King phase, my work veered in THAT direction. So I kind of feel sympathy for Kaavya Viswanathan and her potential career-killing move.

But I think you have to go through a process of finding your voice. You learn to talk by mimicking adults.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home