Saturday, June 03, 2006

Color Me Badd


What was Malice doing watching BET tonight? Well, kiddies, it's that magical time of year when all of the TV shows Malice watches have run their course and Malice is so desperately in need of television companionship that he starts checking out all the other channels he gets. And thus, tonight, Malice re-discovered "In Living Color".

How I loved this show. The first 2-3 seasons were brilliant. (I remember it abruptly getting absolutely unwatchable, but go back to 1-3...) "Chappelle Show" mos def took some cues from it. David Alan Grier was amazing. "James" Carey is like a little kid set free. They all look like kids performing their hearts out and having fun. A hilarious sketch cuts to a Fly Girls sequence that I actually enjoy watching... those girls were white hot shit...

I'm reminded that I had the worst crush on the Asian Fly Girl, Carrie Ann Inaba (thank you, Wikipedia!). I was always a bit disappointed that most of the Fly Girl sequences were wide-shots so you didn't get prolonged looks at the girls faces...

(Thank you, Google Images!)

Malice loses his train of thought for a moment...

It was even great to watch the end credits. Sometimes they'd bring on a special music act. But always, you'd get to see the cast just goofing around onstage after the show. They seemed to genuinely enjoy being together and doing what they were doing.

There's this innocence and joy to that first season. Embodied by the opening credit sequence, featuring the cast members throwing paint around a set, like little kids allowed to go nuts.

I know what you're thinking. I can't believe how much television I watch, either. But I swear to Christ it feeds the work. I'm a pop junkie. No apologies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home