Thursday, February 10, 2011

Your Pain and Your Hunger

I used to dream about not having a day job.

Not waking up to an alarm clock every morning. Not dealing with dress codes. Not chasing after trains to get to work on time. Not having to call in sick when you feel too sick to get out of bed. Not training an eye on the clock to make sure you get back from your lunch hour.

I don't miss those things.

The trade-off, however, is the feast-or-famine freelancer lifestyle.

You get a score and you ride it out for as long as you can until you can get another score.

Still waiting on detailed feedback notes for the 1st draft of a script I turned in a few weeks ago. Hopefully, I'll get it sometime this week. Notes almost always suck... but you break them down and do your best to address them, one by one.

Waiting is the biggest pain-in-the-ass about screenwriting. When those notes come in, I've got to dive into this second draft and take it to the next level. My future hinges on my ability to accomplish this in a timely manner. I'm at that midpoint between feast and famine where I'm still all right but I'm beginning to be more cautious about every penny spent. I've got to ask myself, What don't I absolutely need in my life?

[As I was writing this entry, one of my managers called. There's a producer who's in NYC this week who wants to meet with me about another potential project. Could be something, could be nothing, but it's always encouraging to have more than one hope for a score.]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home