Monday, January 24, 2011

Repairing the Clicking Death

In our previous installment of The Clicking Death, my Samsung FP-T5084 greeted me with a relentless clicking sound and no power/picture. Some quick internet searches informed me that this is a common issue that develops with many Samsung HDTVs (plasma and LCD). The repair usually involves replacing some busted fuses and capacitors that don't cost that much.

Of course, you go through a TV repair (out of warranty) and the price tag promises to be a few hundred bucks. Not to mention the wait for the appointment and parts, etc.

So. Taking matters into my own hands, with the assistance of a shitload of YOU TUBE how-to vids... I got my hands a bit dirty in order to save a few hundred quid.

The parts themselves were not expensive. Couldn't find them at the local RadioShack because RadioShack sucks, and electronic component stores aren't as plentiful as they used to be. But you can find what you need online. I went to Digi-Key for the replacement capacitors. And purchased the replacement fuses through Amazon.

One of the most difficult steps was just getting this 50" plasma down off the bureau where I've got it perched. It may be a flat-panel, but I swear the damn thing probably weighs almost as much as me...

[I had the set unplugged for roughly 12 hours before opening it up. Some people wait longer or shorter.]

Screen-faced down on my bed, I went through the meticulous process of removing all the screws so that I could take the back panel off:

Just getting the back panel off was a little trickier than expected. There are a LOT of screws. I placed them in a few different tupperware containers so they wouldn't get lost or mixed up. (There are also a few *hidden* screwed-in-things I had to identify before being able to lift the panel off.)

Once you've got all the business exposed, locate the power supply board by following the plug...

And here we've got the power supply board. Trouble-spots highlighted. Seems I'll be replacing two blown fuses and two blown capacitors.

The fuses were easy. Just pluck them out with some pliers and replace them with new ones. I could have tested them but didn't. When you're buying online, you've got to buy a few of these things because they're so cheap, so I had FIVE standing by. This is what you want to get:

"12 amp 250 volt 20mm ceramic fuse"


Capacitors are a trickier lot. I found this video to be very helpful:



Here's a picture of capacitors on the board that seemed a-ok:

Flat-tops. That's what I was looking for.

Here's a picture of the two busted capacitors on the board. The tops are slightly domed.

Another shot of the busted capacitors.

The blown capacitors on the board were

"2200 microfarads (μF) 10 volts"


My replacement capacitors were

"3300 microfarads (μF) 25 volts"


All right, admittedly, this was the leap of faith. Ideally, you want to replace the cap with one that's closer in spec. But I chose to buy the parts before opening up my set.

Had to use a soldering gun to replace the caps. Had to look at some more YOU TUBE videos to figure out how to use a soldering gun.

The rundown on everything I bought:
5 replacement ceramic fuses
10 replacement capacitors
1 soldering gun
1 roll soldering wire

Altogether, it cost roughly less than $40, I think. Versus a few hundred.

Monday afternoon. So far... it seems to be working...

UPDATE:

I come from the future! It's May 5, 2020 — NINE YEARS after I originally posted this — and I'm still enjoying the same plasma tv! Never ran into the issue again.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous fedup said...

niiiiicee...I love it when a plan comes together! BTW you don't know me and I never read your blog.

1/24/2011 07:53:00 PM  
Blogger M. Alice said...

i'm still waiting for you to come back from your blogging hiatus, fedup!

1/24/2011 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy England said...

Is your Tv still working fine after your repair? Ours just died yesterday doing the same thing. 3 years old! Called Samsung...they deny there is a problem with this tv....yeah....look at the internet you bastards!

1/05/2012 09:39:00 AM  
Anonymous jeremy fleming said...

this is BAD advice!!!! never chance the capacity of a capacitor unless there is a reason from the manufacture!!!! EVER! you may replace with a higher voltage cap and this may be a good thing to do. but NEVER change the uF rating. this has to do with timing in capacitor/coil circuits. its just like nuts and bolts... if you change one to the wrong thread pitch or diameter, it wont work. this is dangerous and may release magic smoke!!! replace caps only with the correct uF rating.

i learned this while getting my engineering degree (EE). not from youtube.

2/03/2012 03:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My FP-T5084 just went out yesterday. No clicking, nothing. Took back off and one fuse definetly bad. Will order new ones and go ahead and get caps as well. I was shocked at the number of people with same issue. Glad to find solution.

6/21/2012 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Thanks for the blog post. It was a really big help in diagnosing the easily fixable problem. :)

9/26/2012 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks a million, it worked like a charm! I replaced 4 blown capacitors by zeroing on the "domed" description. You saved me a couple hundred dollars in repair expenses!

9/11/2013 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had the same problem. Opened it up and noticed the same two capacitors and two others of the same type were bulged. Replaced with 25v versions and now the set works great again.

6/02/2015 05:54:00 PM  
Blogger Who is Tyler said...

lol at srfergirl's repairman.. 😲

9/07/2016 05:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home