Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Clicking Death

Quick rundown:

Samsung FP-T5084
50" flat-panel plasma screen

Bought this sucker sometime around March 2008.

A few weeks into owning it, wrestled with a buzzing noise, which I got repaired.

Buzz kill revisited me in September 2008, but it didn't worsen to any diabolical degree.

January 18, 2011. Tried turning on the tv. It didn't turn on. It just kept *clicking*.

If you do a search, apparently this is a widespread problem with Samsung TVs. Not just plasma screens. Tending to occur about 2 years in, after the HDTV is out of warranty.

I tried unplugging it for 8 hours and trying it again. No change. It just keeps clicking like some form of celestial torture.

So basically, I am stuck in The Tomb without a working television. I just finished a script and I'm waiting on feedback so ALL I WANT TO DO RIGHT NOW IS WATCH TV AND PLAY VIDEOGAMES. This is the perfect window of time to veg out and my goddamn TV just betrayed me.

Gotta call the TV repair service Wednesday after 9am. See what they can do for me. Internet searches seem to suggest that this is a "power supply" issue. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't take an eternity to get it fixed. And I hope it doesn't cost a small fortune.

My computer's so old, it's wheezing. The CD tray refuses to open with any consistency, so I can't even watch any of the screeners I've got sitting around. If I can get some money coming in this year, I would love to get it replaced. Or maybe I could buy a blanket to keep warm.

I know that a TV not working may seem trivial to a lot of people, but the lack of a functional television in this prison cell only serves to highlight the sensation of being trapped in a box. Television has been a source of white noise that has allowed me to sleep here. A constant distraction to keep the demons at bay. In its absence... all I can think about is murder...

[UPDATE]

Through sheer persistence and magical thinking, I somehow managed to get the TV turned on. And now I'm afraid of turning it off because I don't want to lose it again!

Since it's out of warranty, the repairman would probably cost a few hundred. But it seems that the fix for this issue might cost less than $5...


"12 amp 250 volt 20mm ceramic fuse"




I am reviewing the situation...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home