Monday, November 23, 2009

Couch Trip

Sunday, decided to treat myself to a 3D IMAX Robert Zemeckis movie. I'm a Zemeckis-apologist but I admit to being slightly underwhelmed by his A CHRISTMAS CAROL adaptation. Just so happened that a 6pm showing of Wes Anderson's FANTASTIC MR. FOX was happening not too long after the IMAX let out—and since I've been so behind on movies, with an additional desire to add value to the expensive IMAX ticket ($18.50?!?), I went for the sneak. Ben Stiller happened to be at the show, on his own. People on the UWS are so cool, though, no one really bothered him.

I loved FANTASTIC MR. FOX. Really great stuff.

After the movies, it was back to rehabilitating The Tomb for me...

There's an old couch that had been sitting in the apartment for ages. You see, they bought a replacement couch a few summers ago and just piled the dumpy old couch in a corner. Over time, they piled more old shit on top of the dumpy old couch: boxes of bullshit from the ghosts of roommates past. Since I moved in on November 13th, I've been on a mission to reclaim the much-needed space occupied by all of that useless junk.

Steadily, I got rid of boxes and bags filled with things that should've been tossed ages ago. Till finally, it was that blasted old couch that needed to go.

Sunday night, I managed to get that big old bastard of a couch down four fucking flights of stairs ON MY OWN.

Out onto the curb. Who knows what will happen to it. The sanitation deal in the immediate neighborhood of The Tomb is a sketchy affair, I've found. Eventually, it'll be gone forever. But at the very least, it's out of this fucking apartment.

The Tomb is beginning to look... kinda okay. Been spoiled because one of my roommates has been out of the country, so I know it'll get more crowded and the mess will be more of an ongoing war.

And yes... if you want to get *technical*, I don't actually have a job right now, so there is all of that.

But all in all, for all the downsides and uncertainties and concerns... I hazard to say I'm fortunate to be in The Tomb. It might just be okay yet.

(And the cat's warming up to me, I think...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home