Friday, November 16, 2007

It's Never Too Late to Work 9-5

Sorry for the tardiness of today's TGIF entry, Dear Lurkers. Yesterday was kind of surreal...

Waking up early, taking the old train route to the old job. One-on-one refresher session with a familiar old trainer. I went in with a lot of trepidation. Walking through the lobby, taking the elevator, looking out for anyone I knew back in the day...

I wasn't sure how easily I'd slip back into the old skillset. It had been over a year but I'd done the damn job for 6+. Thankfully, it all came back... more or less. I had to do the training materials on a laptop, which hindered my sense-memory.

It was like learning how to walk again after an accident.

When I left my position in 06, I could've done the work with my eyes closed. Taking the refresher, there were actually a few things that took a little while to jog my memory. It's such a peculiar, specialized job that's hard to explain to other people.

But when I finished the refresher class, around 2pm, we went down to the center... which had been thoroughly remodeled. Met some people I used to work with who couldn't have been cooler. And everyone seemed to appreciate my predicament—appreciated that I was only there till the strike is over... but were happy to see me.

It felt so odd. Like I was back from some extended vacation. It was actually *nice* to see the friendly faces. Sad as it may be to admit, it felt like I was visiting home. Maybe going back to the old job isn't the worst fate in the world...

Left around 2:30pm. Walked to the location of the day's picket—which I'd missed by a good half-hour, so no one was there. Walked past striking theater stage-hands, whose lines are decidedly less glamorous.

Read somewhere that both "30 Rock" and "SNL" casts and writers are going to be doing live theater shows, profits of which will go to the WGA strike fund. The "30 Rock" shows are apparently sold out already. I always fucking miss out on this shit.

"Maybe because you don't talk to people," the Gay Horse suggested, rolling his eyes.

Temp Shuffled 5:
1. "The Boney King of Nowhere", Radiohead
2. "Hitchin' a Ride", Green Day
3. "Guilty", Kid Rock
4. "Somebody Already Broke My Heart", Sade
5. "Volcano", Damien Rice

Timesheet Bonus
"It All Comes Back to You", Cheap Trick

Requisite Strike Article:
NPR: All Things Considered
Nick Counter Must Go
Why We Strike

Old School Gamer Center:
Pac-Man Text Game

Coolest Video Ever (for today):

For all you old-school gamers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home