Friday, November 09, 2007

Hey Hey, Ho Ho

What's the origin of the old "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, [bad thing] has got to go!" strike chant? I have never liked it. I guess it's an easy rhyme and it's easy to plug shit into it, Mad-Libs style, but I am NOT good at selling it. I was going to write a little entry about the origin of it, but I couldn't find any easy answers online.

And if it ain't easy, I ain't doin it!

Seriously, writers in general aren't the most vociferous lot. I feel sorry for the few in the picket lines who try to get the chanting going. I understand the need for it, especially when the TV cameras are rolling. It's just not everyone's cup of tea. Frankly, I think it's enough that people are showing up to march. As the weeks roll by, I have no idea what it's going to look like. How quickly the celebrity actors and writers are going to drop off.

But you've got to admit, for the first week, it's been pret-ty, pret-ty strong...!

I completely lost track of all the celebrities in attendance on Thursday, but here's the best I could cobble together:

David Chase, Tim Robbins, Julianne Moore, David Duchovny, Holly Hunter, Joan Allen, Paul Bettany, Robin Williams, Richard Belzer, Chris Meloni, Bobby Cannavale, David Hyde Pierce, Oliver Platt, Tony Gilroy, Andrew Bergman

From THE WIRE:
Callie Thorne
Amy Ryan
Clarke Peters

SNLers:
Seth Meyers
Will Forte
Fred Armisen
Rachel Dratch

And best of all... Joy Behar from THE VIEW.

Those are only the people that I saw and could NAME. There were so many people, so many familiar faces, people I missed (Susan Sarandon, Randy Quaid)...

Who wants to see some shitty cell phone pictures??

Establishing shot: Columbus Circle, EXT. Time Warner Building. 11/08/07.
Note that the ubiquitous inflatable rat has been replaced (at least for today) by a big fat inflatable pig. With a lot of money, judging by his fancy cigar and top hat.

David Chase was marching right in front of me:
He was even marching with the picket sign that I'd been marching with on Wednesday:
Detective Munch showed up with two dogs and interrogated Chase for a stretch:
Another supportive labor union took a break from zapping rats & roaches to pose for a picture with Tim Robbins:
Robin Williams did his schtick for the cameras:
This one's a Where's Waldo? Oliver Platt, Holly Hunter and... is that James Frey...?
Another snapshot of James Frey, talking on his cell, looking sketchy like he's afraid Oprah's about to show up:
Paul Bettany, Tim Robbins and the delightfully diminutive Holly Hunter:

I've been putting a lot of time into the picket lines this first week because—

A) It's the first week and we had to come on strong.
B) Writing is solitude, and being part of something like this makes you appreciate that you're part of a larger community.
C) It has been kinda cool seeing the celebs and wondering who's going to show up next.
D) Next week, I'm going to have to cut my picketing hours wayyy down because I've got to head back to the old day job.

Yessir, "D" is the downer of the lot.

I'm trying to keep a more positive attitude about it. Like I've said, I'm NOT slouching back because I've fucked up my career opportunities. The reason I'm going back is national news, fer chrissakes.

I just left that job in a very... extravagant manner. It was a good ending. But in the feast-or-famine world of screenwriting, it's probably always best to leave options open.

"Failure..." the Gay Horse muttered under his breath, by the watercooler.

Hey Hey Shuffled 5:
1. "Tomb of the Boom", Outkast
2. "Your Picture", Camera Obscura
3. "Diamonds from Sierra", Kanye West
4. "Wear You Out", TV on the Radio
5. "I Fought Piranhas", The White Stripes

Ho Ho Bonus
"Everything (Between Us)", Liz Phair

Encouraging Strike Article:
Advantage: Writers

Please visit picket lines. If you don't want to march, buy them some food. (Some girl showed up with a big pizza pie.)

Friday's picket location:
1211 Avenue of the Americas, bet. 47th/48th
9am-5pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home