Thursday, August 02, 2007

Labor of Hate

Entry #1000:And so I guess the thousandth entry on Misanthropy Central has got to be a rant.

I'll preface this by saying that I thought the actual reading of my new play, "Chinadoll Overdrive", went relatively well, all things considered. They had a paucity of rehearsal time right before the show, but the actors were well-cast and they just hit the ground running. My director handled the curve-balls very well.

That said, the low crowd numbers sucked shit.

I don't want to be ungrateful, but the people who run that festival could stand to be a bit friendlier toward me. Even fucking superficially. I show up there and I swear, they regard me as an ugly stepchild. I'm on the verge of giving their festival the biggest exposure they could ever hope for, and they've got me on their fucking PAY-NO-MIND list!

Jesus fucking Christ, don't get me started on theater! People bitch about Hollywood? The theater world has some bitter, narrow-minded people pulling the strings.

And yes, I really liked the reading! It made me rediscover what I like about the play, which is great. But the turn out was disappointing, and it's really making me question what I like about theater.

I'll continue to write plays, and I'll write the plays that I want to write. Even if it holds back my phantom theater career. Theater's a labor of love by bitter people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home