Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Jesus Walks With Me

"Everybody hates me, Joker..."

It seems that my short-lived career in musical theater is crumbling.

I don't want to go into specifics here. On the fucking internet where every word is immortalized in caches.

Suffice it to say, I took a little detour trying to write the books for some musicals this past year, and the projects didn't work out for varying reasons.

It's never been an ambition of mine to be a book-writer for musicals, but I thought I'd try it. And I did. And there are some interesting aspects to it, but ultimately... it's not me. And I don't think the work I contributed to those projects was very good, because my heart wasn't in it.

Any case, I had to get a bit more blunt with people on Tuesday. For their sake and mine. And they might hate me, but what can you do? They knew I wasn't a musical theater person when they approached me. I just think this musical business got me off track for a while, and I really can't afford to go too far off track. Not yet.

I'm resisting the urge to go on a rant here. The story may not be completely over. But I just feel like I need to focus on plays and screenplays at this point in my life.

More and more, I'm appreciating that you've got to have a disgusting amount of ego to write for a living. Words are fucking cheap and you've got to believe that what you do with them is worth more than a thousand other people who are queued up at the gate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home