Saturday, June 23, 2007

Night Falls Fast

A few weeks ago, I came across Spalding Gray's MONSTER IN A BOX, which was playing on IFC or Sundance. The monologue film chronicles his experience trying to write his first novel. The film really drew me in and reminded me about what I liked about Spalding Gray. He was a great storyteller.

I avoided his "performance films" for a while because they looked sort of annoying. He seemed like nothing more than a neurotic, Upper East Side grotesque. And that aspect does exist in his work. (GRAY'S ANATOMY suffers most from this, I think. In addition to be over-directed by Steven Soderbergh.)

But he knew how to tell a story. Using his voice and body with great economy.

When he vanished a few years ago, it had been a while since I'd even thought about him. I saw his movies on video years before, and I liked them, but I didn't keep them in my mind. I didn't realize that he'd been in a disfiguring car accident in 2001, and that had sent him into a deep depression that he never recovered from.

Which makes it more macabre watching MONSTER IN A BOX, wherein he talks about the experience of writing a book about his mother's suicide. Watching the film with the knowledge of what will happen to him definitely colors the experience. His neuroses don't seem as playful and cute. The monologue begins to resemble a cry for help.

Sad thing is, he was seeking help. He was in therapy, the whole magilla. And yet, even given all the warning signs... if a person really wants out, it's hard to stop them...

Fascinating character, worth looking into if you're not familiar with his work.

This has been a BUZZ-KILL ENTRY. Enjoy your Saturday, bitches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home