Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Busted Windows

Hello from my new Windows 8 computer.

Abbreviated timeline:

My old desktop croaks sometime Saturday night. I place an order for a budget replacement computer Sunday night. I'm using my new computer Wednesday afternoon.

Of course, Windows 8 isn't reading my old Vista-formatted hard drives (because that would be too easy), so it looks like I'll have to shell out for a bit of data recovery. If it's possible.

When I bought my last computer, it took me a minute to become acquainted with all the problems with the new Vista OS. So it's poetic that I've been forced to replace that machine with a similarly beleaguered Windows 8 desktop. Hopefully, the problems won't be as severe.

So far...? Aside from not being able to read my old hard drives, it's not quite as bad as I feared. The new tablet-like Start screen is a little obnoxious, but you can move past that to a more recognizable desktop setting.

Slowly recovering here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home