Friday, May 04, 2012

Everyone Attack.

There's a reason why boxers say you should always punch up to the next higher weight class and never punch down. By taking on fighters in a higher weight class, you enhance your own reputation. When you take on fighters in a lower weight class, you elevate them to your level and inevitably diminish your own reputation in the process.
—from Polimerican
The networking thing I went to on Wednesday night was a complete waste of time. One of the problems with going to a lot of these things is that most people haven't done as much as I have, or haven't worked/struggled on the same level as I have. They're at earlier stages. Which is fine but if I start talking about some of my current struggles, no matter how careful I try to be, it can sound boastful.

And yes... occasionally there may be a particularly insecure asshole who'll feel compelled to try to take me down a peg. Because he feels threatened.

Wednesday night, it happened to be someone I've met a bunch of times before.

You can see the change happen. When someone's trying to play it off as, "Oh, we're just having a laugh here..." —but then it's clear, because of their impressive lack of talent, that they're really just trying to hurt you in a vain effort to make themselves look/feel better. The weird thing was, I could see it sooo clearly Wednesday night. I could see what was going on with this poor, pathetic, drunk idiot.

And I chose not to get pissed off or engage him. Because it was so obvious that he was the one who felt threatened. And my apathy toward him just seemed to make him crazier. I took off without fanfare.

So. Here's the deal. I've got to be more careful about where I spend my time because some of this shit is just useless to me. I've shown kindness to a lot of people but what's the point?

Earlier Wednesday evening, I got some really good feedback on my latest draft. This project could be something special. Felt so good after the call, even the shitty networking cesspool I attended didn't get me down.

I've got some serious writing to do.

Enjoy your Friday, people. You made it. Chase your dreams with the curiously inspiring Perfect Strangers game..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home