Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Half Hearted

On BLOGGER, I can create entries that are scheduled to be automatically published at any point in the future. When I go through the EDIT POSTS tab, I'll see a list of entries that have been published and, at the top, a list of entries that are "scheduled".

On Monday, an untitled entry was published that had been scheduled to be published for a full year.

It is strange to create an entry a year in advance and have that year transpire and see the entry automatically publish.

For a year, that one entry was at the top of my "scheduled" queue. Waiting patiently. The original meaning behind it blurred over the course of time. Its final, anticlimactic release only serves as a reminder that an entire year has gone by... and what are we doing?

Saturday night, I went to one of those awful "Anti-Valentine's Day" parties. One of those dreadful MEET-UP parties choking with irony, appearing to be a refuge for singles on a holiday built exclusively for couples. In reality, a clumsy pile-up of 200+ strangers looking for something they're not likely to find.

"Why would you attend something like this, Malice? And ALONE, no less? It seems out of character..."

How much blog entry evidence do you need before it's clear that I am a glutton for punishment? I'm always looking for ways to push myself out of my comfort zone. And I lost most of my casual friends in the great New Year's Eve War of 2010.

To add a game component to the awkward night, each party member was given a torn playing card. If you found the member of the opposite sex with the other half of your card, you could both claim a free drink. Nobody appeared to spend any effort to actually do this. Somewhere out there, I'm sure there's a remarkable woman with half an Ace of Diamonds card who wishes I hadn't left early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home