Tuesday, January 05, 2010

License X-Press

After all the drama over getting a new passport a few months ago, I came to realize that my driver's license was actually expiring on my birthday in 2010.

January 8, 2010. AKA, this Friday.

I only really use it when I get carded, which is often. Still, I expect to have to go to L.A. at *some* point this year and possessing a current driver's license might be useful for that trip.

Last time I renewed my license was YEARS ago and I was always grateful that "2010" seemed like forever away. And suddenly it's here. It's NOW.

The address listed on my driver's license is an address from THREE MOVES ago, when I lived on Prospect Park West. (I was reminded by this when I got carded in South Jersey over the weekend, and the stupid bitch didn't think I looked like me so she quizzed me on my address; I guess I should be flattered that I'm about to turn 34 and not only am I still getting carded but some people actually think I'm trying to use a fake fucking ID, but it's still incredibly obnoxious sometimes.)

Anyway, I was dreading the process of dealing with the DMV because I imagined that I'd have to prove my residence by providing copies of utility bills and I just moved to my latest address in mid-November and all the utility bills are under my new roommate's name. So I decided to drop by the "License X-Press" on 34th Street on Monday afternoon just to ask about what I'd need to bring to get my license renewed.

Got there at about 4pm, just to quickly ask my question. In about 15 minutes, I'd managed to renew my license.

Didn't need to bring any mail to prove my new residence. Filled out a form. Brief, cursory eye test. They gave me my interim license. And Bob's your uncle and May's your auntie.

Seems that I arrived there at the very end of their day and I was the last person through the doors before they locked them, so I didn't wait.

Also: they didn't take a new picture. Which isn't the biggest deal because it's not often that people accuse me of not looking like myself (with the exception of stupid bitches in South Jersey RITE-AIDs).

Bottom line: the "License X-Press" on 34th Street in Manhattan is excellent. Check the hours. If you get there right at the end of a day, it might be faster, depending on the day. I've read that Tuesdays are good days, assuming that Monday isn't a holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home