Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Nanuet Mall

Saturday with mom and sis, we make a surprise visit to the Nanuet Mall. That suburban mall of my adolescent years.

Growing up, it was a standard two-level mall. When I left for college, it gradually built up in size and scope. Additional floors, movie-plex, huge entertainment facilities. I think I briefly saw this expanded version, sometime after college.

Visiting it this weekend, though... January 3, 2009... it was like visiting ruins...

I was expecting some healthy post-holiday traffic, maybe some vaguely familiar faces in the crowd.

What we found was a sparsely attended mall with vacant store lots every few paces. Aside from the antiquated and perennial MACY*S, there was little here that had remained thriving from childhood.

Nothing remains.

Saturday was an awful day. Could not get the bad thoughts out of my head. Like some kind of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Violent, self-destructive thoughts and imagery. I could barely even talk on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home