Saturday, March 01, 2008

Last (Filipino) Action Hero

I realize I'm a bit late to the game on this, but I had no idea that "Johnny Rico" from Starship Troopers was supposed to be a Pinoy. Which makes the casting of the blindingly-Caucasian Casper Van Dien all the more brilliant. I mean, his first name is literally "Casper", as if to emphasize that he's as white as a friendly ghost!

All right, okay, I'll stow the soap box. I'll have you know that some of my dearest friends are white, Dear Lurkers. (Hard to believe, but true.) I'm not here to write some reverse-racist screed. Or bitch about the dearth of minority representation in major Hollywood fare.

I think Casper Van Dien was the perfect blank canvas for the protagonist of Starship Troopers. Would have been a far murkier statement had they cast an Asian as the lead.

WHITE POWER!

They've got a Starship Troopers 3 coming directly to the home video market. Written and directed by Edward Neumeier, who wrote ROBOCOP. And though I skipped Part 2, I'm curious about this one for some stupid reason.

Speaking of Asian representation, have you had your surprisingly-tart frozen yogurt fix today, you fucking fruit-baskets? Read about the war for your frozen yogurt dollars, with thanks to Jenny.

And in other news that I can't be bothered to elegantly segue into:

Whatever happened to Neutral Milk Hotel?

The truth behind Vista...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home