Monday, January 14, 2008

Welcome to the Midnight Show

One of my favorite sounds in the world is the sound of my printer printing out the complete first draft of a new script. Fans whirring, lasers lasering, stack of paper piling up in the tray. The sound of opportunity. Another one down, onto the next one...

They're never quite done, of course, but the best I hope for is the completed draft being done enough for now. Even if I can sell this bitch, it'll mean endless revisions.

But there's strength in numbers. Another speculative script in the portfolio. Something to get my agents off my back for a day or two. My agents who can't do much while this WGA strike is rolling, who are just starving for some new reading material.

Took me a little over a month to finish cranking out this new script. I'm not that fast or prolific by nature, but I'm always working at it. A month for a new feature-length script is about as fast as I go, assuming the beats are pretty clear to me.

Today marks the end of the second month that I've been back at my old day job. Breaking the seal on month three. It is with greater urgency that I pray for an end to this labor conflict. (Using "pray" in a loose sense, naturally.) I'm concerned about how long it will take to get back to speed once the smoke clears and the gears of business begin churning again.

Trying to pace my worries and expectations, though. For now, I'm just working for the weekend. For today, a small break from writing. At least until I get home to the empty apartment that I miss so much...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home