Monday, December 18, 2006

Racist Koont(z)


Netflixed/watched "Demon Seed" this weekend, for reasons I completely forget. (This happens a lot. "Why did I rent this...?")

It's absurdly bad. Anyhoooo, I noticed during the opening creds, it's based on a Dean Koontz book. I've never actually read one of his books, but I thought I remembered my sister reading some of his books years ago and commenting on his vaguely racist depiction of Asians in them. (In hindsight, I think she was actually talking about Robin Cook, physician/author who I've also never read.)

So while the movie's running, I google "Dean Koontz racist" and come up with...

THIS...

And THIS...

I guess it's an old controversy now, but I never heard of it and it threw me for a loop. I'm hardly one of those uppity, militant "ASIANS RULE" types -- and I've been known to engage in some off-color humor within certain social circles -- but there's always a specific, understood context. But it just seems like THIS scenario was totally obscene, more so because most of the audience supposedly loved it...

A belated Misanthropy Central JEERS to you, Mr. Koontz!

---
Hey, it's Julie Benz!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home