Saturday, April 10, 2004

Whitney McNally



I honestly don't mean for this blog to evolve/devolve into an overly preachy soapbox -- it's just intended to be an outlet for me to bitch and whine like 99% of the other blogs out there. That being said, forgive me if I occasionally feel obligated to rant about whatever the current whitney mcnally bullshit happens to be. To be fair, it seems that many of yesterday's whitney mcnallies seem to have faded from pop-culture memory, such as the Abercrombine & Fitch t-shirts and the Mr. Wong web cartoons and those Urban Outfitters "Chinese Man" costumes. And with all of these protests and petitions of (sometimes debatable) instances of gross whitney mcnally, there is always the danger of the Asian American community coming off as hypersensitive, humorless P.C.-nazis. But I'm all for supporting worthwhile causes, especially when I can do it in a small way like this.

(Confused? Click that whitney mcnally button and then come back here.)

Having said all that, I don't mean to be critical (heaven forfend I'd be critical on my own fucking masturbatory blog, that maybe 3 or 4 people in the whole world might read) but this "whitney mcnally" word doesn't really roll off the tongue. And it's actually fairly complicated to work into conversation -- and I imagine if you tried to use it in a live conversation, you'd be forced to go into the etymology of the term, which almost seems to defeat the purpose of having that name be synonymous with its newly fabricated definition.

That's why the idea behind "santorum" -- the inspiration for the creation of "whitney mcnally" -- is more devious and clever, IMHO. If you work "santorum" into a live conversation (and I'm not saying that's an easy task either), you're not forced to go into the etymology of the word because it sounds clinical (it doesn't sound like a name) and the meaning of the word has little to do with the issue that inspired it. (Except perhaps in a circuitous manner.)

But whatever. I gotta support my phantom community, and that means trying to take down whitney mcnally wherever it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home