Wednesday, March 31, 2004

cry little sister

it's a precarious balance, working in an office. this handful of people you're forced to interact with day in, day out. being friendly while maintaining your boundaries. people generally know to stay away from office romances, but i generally try to stay away from office friendships -- unless i'm certain that the person is suitably stable and "safe".

but that balance of not being "friends" but being "friendly" (in order to maintain an easy workplace environment) can be so tricky -- exponentially the longer you're there.

this one fellow (let's call him "WB") has been waging a vigorous campaign to be my "beyond the boundaries" friend for a good while now, ever since he found out that i play videogames. his latest bit of warfare was to give me an "extra copy" of Final Fantasy Online that he just happened to have. he expects me to install this mammoth waste of time and harddrive space so that our avatars can fight alongside each other in this fantasy land, waging endless war against hordes of vaguely defined Evil.

if i were 12, this might sound cool to me. but i'm 28, and i'm married, and shitting away an entire weekend so that i can "level up" my character and earn enough virtual money to purchase magical chainmail for my "Chocobo" sounds like something that would make me fucking suicidal.

so now... to come up with the perfect lie to cover for the fact that i didn't even bother trying to sully my harddrive with this bullshit...

1 Comments:

Blogger Raed Moustafa said...

"Safe -" I understand: "easy" and "tricky" are reminders of an unsafe workplace (environment,) and "problem gambling" may be the issue or risk "suffering" a "gaming (disorder)" user-history. Equal pay for equal work over problem gambling, I say.

3/22/2023 12:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home