Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Everybody Wants Some

Doesn't matter if I talk about the nature of my career being feast-and-famine. Doesn't matter when I point out that I'm suffering a particularly harsh lean stretch. I get into a networking situation, people hear some of what I've done, and they think I'm in a position to help them.

Sometimes it'll be put forth in a half-joking manner. Sometimes it'll be a more direct pitch. Suggestions of collaborations, without even being familiar with my work.

I want to help people. It's in my nature. But what a lot of folks don't seem to get is that I am NOT in a career position where I can help others right now. If I'm not eating, how am I supposed to help you find a meal? I've got a team of people hustling for me and I'm still struggling.

It's a drag. And I'm nobody right now. What happens when I actually get to a place of some recognition?

3 Comments:

Anonymous fedup said...

soo...where can I send my headshot and resume?

10/26/2011 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger M. Alice said...

just bring them to the noodle stand where i work!!!

10/27/2011 09:11:00 AM  
Blogger Nicholas Gaffney said...

You've heard of the casting couch, right?

10/27/2011 05:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home