Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Cold Comfort

August. The temps in the city should scratch 90 this afternoon but the thought occurred to me that it's going to start getting cold again soon. This is one of the reasons it's hard for me to imagine living in a place like L.A. where the weather doesn't change. I like the change in seasons. You get sick of the heat and then you appreciate the colder weather. You get sick of the cold and then you appreciate it more when it warms up again. Invariably, you get sick of the extremes of the season you're in, but it gives you something to look forward to.

Getting DirecTV installed today. Not looking forward to it. Not my idea. And I'm/we're stuck with it for 24 fucking months—a span of time I can't even wrap my head around. DirecTV requires a landline if you want to use Pay-Per-View or any On-Demand services, which is obnoxious. And we don't have a landline. Because a lot of people don't have landlines anymore. And you'd think there'd be a way for this technology to work without a landline at this point.

It's August. I need some good news in the next couple of weeks.

[UPDATE]


So it took about 3 hours for the installer to hook up DirecTV, including all the drilling and moving around of furniture. Despite what it says on their website and what the people on the phone tell you, YOU DO NOT NEED A LANDLINE. They can hook it up to your internet service so it can update. So far, so good. It's going to take a little longer to assess how reliable the DVR is, and how expensive this service is going to be in the long-run.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous fedup said...

DirecTV? What the???

8/02/2011 01:23:00 PM  
Blogger M. Alice said...

I know, I know. Took like 3 hours. Actually looks okay. Gotta see how it runs through the week, though.

8/02/2011 03:58:00 PM  
Anonymous fedup said...

What's the diff?

8/02/2011 06:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home