Monday, November 01, 2010

heart/burn

Some years my Octobers end quietly. Other years, like this year, October closes out with a sonic boom.

And suddenly we find ourselves dropped into the cold harsh reality of November.

The shift from October to November can be really jarring...

October's a huge build-up to a party. I must know at least half a dozen people with birthdays at the end of October now, which means Halloween can turn into a costume/birthday extravaganza. This year's main event took place Saturday night deep into Sunday morning, partying with a social circle I largely hadn't even met a year ago. There are all these large and small details to work out in the ramp-up to a party like this. Casting, catering, costumes. Some good ideas fall by the wayside because you run out of time, but you get in as much as you can and improvise when necessary.

Party turns out to be a blast. I could be a perfectionist and reimagine the ways I could have contributed better but I think this one was really smooth, all things considered. Just a great party without all the bollocks or fisticuffs.

Then you wake up and it's November.

Holiday season. The big ones. Thanksgiving. Christmas. The ones that remind me that I don't have family to see, like everyone else. Some years I'm not very fond of this season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home