Tuesday, March 16, 2010

[Hidden Entry]

The winter's begun its surrender around these parts. Today, it was in the 50s. After the morning gym, I walked up to Central Park with my notebook to do a little writing outside The Tomb.

The city's been clear of snow for a while now but there were a few isolated patches of the white powder protected by the park. Two kids assembled a small snowman with what they could scavenge.

It really is a breathtaking park. Some New Yorkers turn their noses up at it and its unwieldy expanse, but I got better acquainted with Central Park when I lived on the Upper West Side. Used to walk through it on the way to work. Took ownership of it. Some people think it's just some patch of preserved wilderness but it's entirely man-made: designed and constructed just like the rest of this city. And what a work of design.

Took a seat at a quiet bench to catch up on my people-watching. A drug-dealer walked by and offered to sell me something ("Smoke? Smoke?"), reminded me of my days walking through Washington Square Park in college. I passed on the generous offer but watched as some dorky looking kid walked straight up to the guy and made a buy.

"You always around here?, because I live right near here... Awesome, you're awesome, dude, what's your name? Kenny...? I'm Nick, good to meet you, Kenny. Hey, keep it sleazy!"

I kept walking down the winding paths. The air was crisp, the skies so uncluttered and blue, the sunlight full of gentle warmth. As chaotic and uncertain as my life may be right now, I just kept thinking, "I love this city, I love this city..."

For some reason, I felt compelled to walk toward the Upper East Side. Along the Museum Mile for a spell. And then down through the heart of the undiscovered UES country...

I take unique comfort in the places that don't remind me of anything.

Tomorrow mourning: jury duty. And the troubles keep coming...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home