Friday, December 11, 2009

Blue Ruins

Outside the window of The Tomb, there is a view of a shitty dive bar called "Blue Ruin" that I went to once and will not enter again if I can help it.

If my camera were better, you'd see that the fuzzy white lights to the right of "Blue Ruin" are actually neon signs for a psychic. "Palm & Tarot Readings". Those are the lights I can see from my bed.

At certain points in the night and day, it sounds like a war-zone just outside The Tomb. Sirens Dopplering by—police, fire, ambulance. A cacophony of car horns. Screeching tires. The occasional BOOM of a trailer truck as it hits a pothole, sounds like a landmine. There are times I expect to see a SWAT team rappelling down past my windows. Outside The Tomb, it's Modern Warfare. Outside The Tomb, it's the French Connection.

Inside The Tomb, I'm working over a movie treatment for a producer for the millionth time. Trying to work out the plot of a spec script I need to be writing. Staring grimly at some bills and contemplating how late I can wait to send payment. I'm part of the problem in this country and I'm living the nightmare.

Thursday, I had ramen noodles, a handful of baby carrots and some frozen tater tots I heated in the toaster oven. I wanted to have a protein, but protein courses are for people with positive bank balances. I've got cable so I live vicariously as Guy Fieri and Adam Richman stuff their maws with proteins.

Saturday, I've got an appointment for a massage at some spa. My sister bought me a gift certificate to this place almost a year ago and I'm cashing it in right before it expires. Of course, I've got to tip in cash so you can be sure this will only have a tragic ending. Pretty sneaky, sis.

Do I need to go on?

2009, Epic Fail!!!

I've been seeing a lot of articles with "best of the decade" lists. Didn't even occur to me until recently that we're about to mark off another decade. THIS is how I'm closing out this decade...?!??

Nice decade, Universe. You think I'll be able to survive through another...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home