Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How Can I Cut You Without a Blade?

The snake-oil huckster who revolutionized overpriced vacuum cleaners is at it again with an overpriced bladeless fan crowned "the Dyson Air Multiplier". How does the fan work, then? It uses blades.

Pretty sneaky, sis...

Speaking of blades, I had another one of my strange dreams involving an 80s horror movie that didn't really exist (to the best of my knowledge). It was a gory, homicidal cannibal story. And yes, I would steal the idea if I could use it at all.

In the dream, I watched a climactic scene involving a conversation between a small-town cop and the maniac cannibal, who was supposedly restrained but (inevitably) not really.

The scene ended with the kind of gore that you don't really see anymore.

What I saw of it didn't make sense. Another character was introduced and the end of the movie somehow involved the cannibal being shrunk down. (I think the movie was called "Honey, I Shrunk the Cannibal".)

Thing about all the Hollywood remakes is that all these filmmakers made these crazy low budget horror movies in the 80s and there was an indie spirit about them. There were a lot of bad movies with a lot of crazy shit in them, but they could get away with it because they weren't necessarily made at big studios. The remake business is fueled by brand recognition.

Which is to say, there's no brand recognition in a shitty 80s horror movie that never existed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home