Friday, July 31, 2009

August Reruns

I didn't sell this article enough when I linked to it in February. Some people don't bother to click through, so I'll set it up more...

It opens with this quote:

"Red wine may be much more potent than was thought in extending human lifespan, researchers say in a new report that is likely to give impetus to the rapidly growing search for longevity drugs. The study is based on dosing mice with resveratrol, an ingredient of some red wines. . . . [In a related study] scientists used a dose on mice equivalent to just 35 bottles a day."
—The Times.

The body of the article concerns Noah Baumbach and a mouse named Louis who embark upon an experiment to drink 35 bottles of wine a day.

Excerpts:
September 27th

Last thing I remember is doing a handstand three days ago. That’s O.K. But I wouldn’t have minded if someone had moved me from the floor to a mattress. Or at least cleaned up the blood. Louis is staring at me. “You said some weird shit,” he declares...

October 28th

After we smoke a bowl, I unscrew a 2008 Ralph’s generic-brand red. It has a sugary vinegar nose and a vinegary, sugary, vomity biley taste, but after five bottles who gives a shit? Louis wonders aloud if resveratrol might also be found in tequila, Jägermeister, and cocaine. I have to dip a little further into the grant money, but we’re able to score some blow by the side of the highway. Once we get back to the lab, we discover it’s baking soda. Louis wants to hunt down the guy and murder him. It takes me, the monkey, and the entire control group of mice to restrain him. Fortunately, the hookers arrive and all is forgotten...
Read and/or reread the rest of the New Yorker article here.

Hope you've enjoyed your July.

Heading off to spend the first patch of August in Portland, Oregon. With the mother and sister. I've dutifully pre-blogged a bunch of entries so I don't have to worry about the blog while I'm away. (We'll see if the celebrity deaths I've predicted pan out.) Why do I bother...?



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home