Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Canceling AOL Premium Services

Multi-post day which means some of the regulars may miss this one, but it's okay. I'm posting this to help others who GOOGLE the problem I just dealt with. Answers here.

For longer than I care to admit, I was getting automatically charged for something I never requested or signed up for.

On my credit card statement, the charge read:

TWX*AOL LLC PREM SVCWWW.AOL.COM

"$4.95" every month.

Tried to figure out what it was, which was a remarkably cumbersome affair since AOL had supposedly switched to a FREE EMAIL SERVICE a few years back...

Just to back up, I've kept my AOL account all these years because it's been the one constant form of contact I've had all this time. Numbers change, addresses change, but I've held onto the same email for 11 years. For work purposes, I've wanted to maintain it.

But once it switched to a FREE EMAIL SERVICE—and I went through the run-around to convert my account to a free account—the "customer services" options got far sketchier.

Tried to find out what this "premium service" was through the "billing" section of my main email account, but that section showed that I was using a free account and claimed I hadn't been billed for quite a while now.

I don't even remember how I eventually found out that the "premium service" I was getting charged for was something called "Privacy Wall". Sounds kind of important, doesn't it? But I never signed up for it and had no clear way to cancel it.

Looked online to see if others had experience with this but I found a lot of stories of people struggling to cancel AOL. Even finding the right number to call can be an arduous task.

Of course, I had to make it a little worse before I made it better...

I ended up just canceling the credit card that was being auto-charged. Hoping that the service would just cancel itself after not being paid. Then yesterday, I got this email:
Dear AOL User

+ We found out that your AOL Billing information's records are out of date.
+ This requires an update of your billing information.
+ Please take several minutes from your online experience and update your billing records.
+ You will not have any problems in future with our online services.
+ However, your refusal to update your records will be finished in your account termination.
+ Please update your records right now.
+ As you have updated your account records your AOL session will not be interrupted.
+ Please click the link below to update your billing records: click here

Sincerely,

America Online, Inc.
Basically, I had to deal with this or risk losing the entire account.

This story offered a number that I called. After going through a long song and dance with a computer, it told me that I'd need "live customer support" (thank you!) and that "live customer support is only available to people who upgrade to a premium account" (WTF??) and that I could upgrade to a premium account in order to have live customer support and deal with my problem...

No, I did not upgrade just to cancel this premium service. Nor should you if you're dealing with this.

The proper number to call to deal with all AOL PREMIUM SERVICE issues is:

1-866-770-9450

I still had to deal with the same voice-command computer initially, but I got a live consultant fairly quick. Had to listen to them deliver their script but to their credit they didn't try to weasel me into not canceling. Though I did have to speak to two different people.

The case code they gave me for the cancellation was 174490057.

I'll update if this problem isn't completely resolved...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jim said...

Alice, Thank you so much for the information on " LLC PREM SVCS WWW.AOL.COM ". I have been paying $ 3.95 a month for over 4 years...The only reason I got on here is I have to give them some information...Now I see that I have been taken also...I will call the number that you posted and see how long it take me to cancel..Again , thank you...Jim

9/19/2011 06:56:00 PM  
Blogger M. Alice said...

If this just helped one other person deal with this, the entry was worth it.

9/06/2012 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger sarah serrano said...

If you want to cancel your Aol Account, visit Our Website
How To Cancel My AOL Account

11/10/2021 02:41:00 AM  
Blogger pamela said...

Delete AOL Account If you are planning to delete your AOL account for some reason, learn how to do it in space. In case you have lost the password of your account or you would want to delete it you can go through this method. There are many ways available that would educate you about deleting your email account. Delete AOL Account When it comes to performing the methods to delete an AOL email account these things would help you- Link Below_
Delete AOL Account

3/22/2022 07:45:00 AM  
Blogger Support Via Remote said...

How to Cancel AOL Account without closing the entire AOL account, which means losing access to all AOL services, including AIM instant messenger. Furthermore, your emails and address book Cancel AOL Account permanently after 90 days; you can't recover the account after 90 days. You can reactivate AOL and get the address book back if you log in using your AOL username and password.For some reason, you may be planning to delete your AOL account. Learn How to Cancel AOL Account it in this space. We will be sharing with you time-saving methods to How To Cancel Aol Account whether free or paid. And in case you have lost the password of your account and would still like to delete it, you can look at the method for this as well.if You Are Any Problem Please Visit Website And Contact Now To Cancel AOL Account Step By Step.

4/07/2022 05:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home