Monday, June 08, 2009

This is the way the world ends...

Some cell phone shots I took of the stage when I saw August: Osage County back in January.

Yes, this is an extremely belated blog entry. It happens. Just clearing out the inventory here. Sometimes I get an idea for an entry that I put off indefinitely. I've had a browser tab with an article that I've kept open SINCE JANUARY... and I want to close it already...

This won't mean much if you're not familiar with the play.

There's one character in the play that barely has any lines throughout. I always find these sort of characters curious in plays.

In screenplays, anything goes with characters. Throwing in nameless characters with one or two lines, not a big deal. But personally I try to avoid including characters in a play that aren't absolutely integral. Why go through the trouble of adding someone to the cast for every performance? Night after night, delivering one line.

In August, there's a character with very little dialogue:

"Johnna", a Cheyenne woman who's hired as a housekeeper at the top of the show.

A New York Times blog entry discussing the significance of the character in the drama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home