Friday, May 11, 2007

Goodnight, Mr. Walters! (Grumble)

Thank God that it's Friday—am I right, America??

(America grumbles.)

I feel really, really positive about the latest draft of my script. Of course, I felt positive about the first draft I churned out, so how can you really trust me?

But for reals, yo. This draft is mad better. I think I managed to cram a lot into it.

A friend directed me to this interesting article about the new pop-perception of the Angry Asian Man, in the wake of the VT-kill-spree. It's a thoughtfully written article and it articulates some things that I'm too indolent to articulate on my own. (That's what links are for, kids!)

Some of these Militant Asian Guys really make my skin crawl. The article opens with a passing mention of Kenneth Eng, an idiot-militant Asian-American writer who published a dumb-as-dirt article in AsianWeek that was titled
"Why I Hate Blacks". The obvious controversy that ensued afforded him an interview on Fox News—where it's immediately clear that he's just a sad, frightened, shitty sci-fi writing weasel who's trying to puff himself up by writing provocative puff-pieces that he can't even explain.

The interviewer keeps asking him, "Why are you so angry?" But if you watch it, it's clear he's not angry! He's scared witless: to be on live television, to have to answer to any criticism without his keyboard as a shield. He keeps wanting to talk about DRAGONS, for chrissake! He seems wholly unprepared to answer for the moronic, attention-seeking article he penned. A bullied kid who's trying to brainlessly bully back, and just looks more pathetic for it...

He wrote an article about his experience in college called, "DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ASIANS AT NYU". (You have to scroll down to find it; I had to copy and paste the text into Word to read it because the website is so poorly formatted.) I find it all the more disheartening that he went to the same school I went to; I knew some of the admin people he mentions. The article is a lengthy, laborious account of how he was unjustly persecuted for his unapologetically racist worldviews:
I tried to take this article to the Village Voice in New York. The editor shouted at me: “That is hyperbole! I don’t believe you.” He had no logical reasons. He just didn’t want to believe it was true. That is why no one ever hears about these incidents. White people only hear what they want to hear. I also took it to the New York Times and Daily News and received no responses.
I've known people like this guy. Variations on this guy. I've dealt with them over the years. Race martyrs. Fighting racism with racism. Some more extreme than others. They talk a lot of smack about wanting to change things, but they'll never change things, because they defeat themselves. They marginalize themselves. Even if they have some valid points buried beneath the outrageous statements, their whole message get shitcanned because they've got no sense of basic social etiquette.

They are born to lose, and they THRIVE on losing. Losing is easy and losing proves their point: that there is a big fat racist conspiracy out to get them.

[ [ [ UPDATE ] ] ]
Thanks to Bozo for bringing Kenny Eng's latest shitstorm to my attention. To Eng's credit, he sounds just as batshit and delusional as Seung-Hui Cho does in his self-produced videos and shitty playscripts. Of course, the fact that Eng is just out to exploit the Virginia Tech tragedy, in the vain hope of getting published, makes him even more of a grotesque parasite. Feeding off the rot of society.

I'm angry as they come. Angry about a lot of things. Fucking furious. But there are ways to channel that anger so that you don't end up becoming a shitty stereotype yourself.

"You said it, Malice!" exclaimed the Gay Horse.

Angry Asian Shuffled 5:
1. "Honestly", Zwan
2. "Lived in Splendour: Died in Chaos", Pop Will Eat Itself
3. "The Dark of the Matinee", Franz Ferdinand
4. "All My Life", Foo Fighters
5. "Eye", Smashing Pumpkins
Dead Horse Bonus:
"Thieves in the Temple", Prince

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home