Monday, December 25, 2006

The Christmas That Wasn't


I woke up this morning to the smell of roasting ham... I guess one of my neighbors was cooking ham...

Yes, a Christmas alone in the Fortress of Solitude 2.0. Can I get a "HELL YEAH"?

My mother dropped by the city, with her partner, and we had lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant. I pretended to be normal.

Wanted to be alone this Christmas. Just didn't feel like I earned a Christmas this year. And I've been forcing myself to write, which for some reason has required me to block out the world. Not that the world was exactly beating down my door.

I've been thinking about what a luxury it is to take things for granted. Some would argue for the importance of NOT taking the good things for granted... but I think the best part of having good things in your life is being able to take them for granted.

I've gone through stretches in my life where I was desperately thankful for everything I had. It's exhausting. And it was coupled with the fear of losing those good things. A homeless man wakes up with a home and some money, it's going to be a while before he stops being afraid of losing those things. If he ever does.

Point being, I admire the people who can take the good things in their lives for granted. It must be a great comfort.

Happy Holidays, lurking world. (Said with sarcasm.) I've gotta finish writing a horror movie...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home