Wednesday, August 17, 2005

nihilistic delusions


merillon (back from honeymoon with jgoose) turned my attention to the strange case of

Cotard's Syndrome:
A syndrome of mental depression and suicidal tendencies, in which the patient complains of having lost everything: possessions, part of or entire body, often believing that he or she has died and is a walking corpse. This delusion is usually expanded to the degree that the patient might claim that he can smell his own rotting flesh and feel worms crawling through his skin. The latter phenomenon is a recurring experience of people chronically deprived of sleep or suffering amphetamine/cocaine psychosis. Paradoxically, being "dead" often gives the patient the nation of being immortal. Other megalomelancholic ideas may be present.

This will be good to know the next time I want to call out sick. There are so many fascinating mental disorders, it's hard to pick just one.

I've been contemplating my general world view lately and, arguably, according to this wikipedia entry, I may fall into the category of "mistaken misanthrope" rather than "genuine misanthrope". There is the fine line between philosophical pessimism and misanthropy.

Merriam-Webster defines misanthropy as "a hatred or distrust of mankind". I think the "distrust" aspect is what really informs how I navigate my life. I have some trust issues. God only knows why... God as well as everybody who's fucking betrayed me...!

However, I'm not about to change the name of this site to "Philosophical Pessimism Central". I think I vascillate back and forth between mistaken misanthrope and genuine misanthrope. Depending on the time of day, the direction of the wind, and that peculiar light in your eyes...

So now you know!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home