Saturday, October 01, 2016

Drinking with Larry David


Thursday night, I had drinks with my current boss who looks uncannily like Larry David.


We were at a "Celebrity Bartending" benefit event in the East Village -- so people were already on the lookout for celebrities.

Okay, so when I first started the job, YES: I immediately noticed the resemblance and I honestly at first thought that the actual Larry David was playing a character in the show. But working with him day after day, I forgot that he looks like Larry David.

It's hanging out with him in public where it becomes obvious what he has to go through on a daily basis.

As we entered the bar, he said to me -- with dread -- "It's starting to happen already..."

I didn't know what he was talking about at first but then he clarified, "I see them looking at me..."

Indeed, we were holding court at a small table in a corner -- in this hip east village scene filled with young hot millennials -- and all these eyes kept stealing glances at this older gentleman chatting with the tattooed Asian guy.

I had to leave a little early and my boss walked me out. On the way out, TWO PEOPLE mustered up the cajones to approach my boss...

"Excuse me, I don't know if anyone's ever said this to you but..."

My boss was already shaking his head.

I acted as a dutiful entourage member: "No, it's not him, he gets it all the time...!"

As I left, I felt the social POWER of being the friend of a (fake) celebrity...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home