Sunday, June 01, 2014

A Normal Life

I was watching this 60 Minutes segment on Coach Frank Hall tonight. An assistant football coach at an Ohio high school who helped stop a school spree-kill. This guy ended up leaving the school to coach football at a poorer school nearby that needed him more. He and his wife are raising adopted children. He teaches his students how to be great football players and how to be Men. Aside from making me miss Friday Night Lights, the segment made me think about the different paths people take in life.

Part of it is just that everyone's having kids now. It's funny. You go through this period when everyone's getting married, then a few years later there's this period when everyone's having kids.

But NYC is a little different. Most of my friends are pursuing bigger career goals/dreams.

Watching this 60 Minutes segment, though... made me think about how there are a lot of people who don't live to chase after career goals. Most people are just looking for a good job that affords them a comfortable life and a means to raise a family. And there's a part of me that finds that idea oddly appealing. Just a simple life somewhere where the cost of living isn't so obscene. Raising a family, being a dad.

I've resigned myself to the idea that I'm going to be chasing my career goals for the foreseeable future. That doesn't necessarily have to exclude relationships, but it feels like it sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home