Monday, July 18, 2011

Vanishing Act

I love leaving a party without saying goodbye. It is one of my greatest pleasures. If I can make my escape without saying goodbye to every single person I know there, it is a profound thrill. I imagine it's similar to the thrill that shoplifters experience. Or serial killers. It's like committing a crime.

No drawn-out sentiments. No half-hearted promises to meet again in the foreseeable future. No handshakes, nor hugs, nor fist-bumps. No parceling out of farewells painstakingly calibrated to acknowledge the specific degree of each and every level of friendship and acquaintance.

NO.

I gladly defy the tyranny of the Goodbye Industrial Complex when I can. All goodbyes should be sudden.

4 Comments:

Anonymous fedup said...

love it. LOVE IT! Hate the "Oh that restaurant I was telling you about? We should definitely get together and check it out. Definitely." "That movie we were talking about? Let's all get together and see it! You're on facebook right? I'll look you up and email you." Eff that noise.

7/18/2011 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger M. Alice said...

it was sooo nice to meet you. we should do this again -- THIS WAS FUN! i can get your information from Sally, i guess. sorry to hear about your grandmother, she'll be in my prayers, i'm sure everything will be fine. ok, well, sorry i have to run. again, sooo nice to meet you! let's seriously do this again. i know EVERYONE says, "let's seriously do this again..." and they don't really mean it but let's *seriously* do this again, mm'kay? all right, HUGS!!! goo'bye! bye bye now! see ya! see ya soon! good night!

7/18/2011 09:57:00 AM  
Anonymous fedup said...

ROTFLMMAO! BTW, no seriously, all joking aside, we are undeniably, without a doubt checking out that new dessert place on the LES next week. I will definitely text you or contact you on Google +. Oh you're not on Google +? Then I'll definitely send you an invite and we can make plans on there. It's easy-peasy! Toodles!

7/18/2011 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger M. Alice said...

Nick Gaffney is on Google+. And he friended me. On Google+. So now I have a Google+ account. And I have one friend. Nick Gaffney.

7/18/2011 11:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home