Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Five-Oh

The new HAWAII FIVE-0 is *not* the hip, fresh reboot that you would think it would be. The melodrama is thick, accented with an overbearing, Mickey Mousing score that never lets up -- to the point that it's difficult to hear some of the creaky dialogue. The characters and character dynamics are completely stock. The plots are quick and forgettable. It has the feel of a tv show from the mid-/late-80s.

It's not a BAD show. It's just not an entirely needful show. If there were only three channels of primetime programming, it might be an worthwhile alternative. As it is, it's fluff...

... and yet, it's also a high-profile show on a major network that is providing work for a steady stream of Asian-American actors.

It makes sense because it's Hawaii but I'm still impressed by the number of Asian actors that are on the show: in major roles, in guest roles, in recurring guest roles and as "background artists".

I like that. I would've liked this show as a kid. I've got enough Asian-American actor friends for this show to employ so I hope it continues for a while. It's not quite for me and it's not quite for everyone, but I think there's a lot of value in this show's contribution to popular culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home