Friday, January 29, 2010

The Casual Gamer

I think it can be safely said that the Nintendo Wii is a videogame system made for people who do not like playing videogames. After a few decades of delivering home videogame consoles with the most advanced technology, featuring first-class games from the world's hottest software companies, Nintendo decided to play to the lowest-common denominator with their last console: the non-gamer.

"The casual gamer."

And as Jay Leno proves, you'll always end up on top by catering to the lowest-common denominator.

I bought into the hype and was treated to a gaming console with inferior graphics and a sporadically-responsive motion-based controller that is perpetually running out of battery juice.

But that's neither here nor there.

Here's a story about parents who didn't get their kids a Wii for Christmas:
My wife and I were planning to buy a Wii for Christmas. It would be my first video game system since my Atari back in the early 1980s. And I expected to wax joyfully about our family's plunge into the world of video games.

Except things didn't quite work out that way.

We did buy a Wii. But 24 hours and one panic attack later, I returned it with immense relief...
The article was linked to HERE and prompted a shitstorm of negative, damning, furious comments from gamers...

Which led to the author's response HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home