Sunday, July 19, 2009

White Man's Burden

Don't get me wrong, I love white people. Some of my best friends are white people. And while I can understand the knee-jerk threat that "affirmative action" can pose, the people like Pat Buchanan who want to use it as some sort of backwater rally cry for oppressed white folks... well, they aren't doing their party any favors...

I caught Pat Buchanan on the Rachel Maddow Show, frothing at the mouth over Sonia Sotomayor's Supreme Court nomination. Check it out if you missed it.

The victim/martyr mentality is something that's sickened me when I've seen it in the Asian-American community. Seeing it used by an old Right-Wing Squawk-Box like Buchanan just makes me want to vomit...
"I think white men were 100% of the people who wrote the constitution, 100% of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence, 100% of the people who died at Gettysburg and Vicksburg, probably close 100% of the people who died at Normandy. This has been a country basically built by white folks."
WHITE POWER!!!

Maddow's savvy enough to know how to counter it: by NOT getting worked up, by mostly letting him dig his own grave.

Seriously, what's with people like Pat Buchanan and Billo the Clown and their bully/bullhorn method of "debate"? The logic being that the person who yells the loudest is the person who wins?

I pray that this is a dying breed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home