Sunday, March 15, 2009

Atari Teenage Riot

I think I'm particularly fascinated by the beginnings of the home videogame industry because I grew up during that time period.

SLATE article about the Atari 2600.



Another article at Kotaku focusing on the challenges of programming for the Atari:
... [the Atari 2600] could only display two sprites on the screen at any given moment. How they compensated for that is a technical challenge that I can't intelligently describe. But suffice to say, in Pac-Man - a disappointing port partially blamed for the early 1980s video game crash - every time you ate a dot, the game redrew the screen. This manic redrawing accounted for the ghosts' flicker...
Check out the Zombie Pac-Man I made! RUN FOR YOUR MOTHAFRAKKIN LIVES!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home