Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Talkin to my girlfriend, Waitin for somethin to happen

It was a rough weekend, waiting for what turned out to be a very anticlimactic Monday...

I killed time by getting around to the four NetFlix discs that I'd been using as dust-collectors for too long. The perfect way to mass-murder a lot of time.

In the order I watched them...

art 21: season 3 is one of those discs that are made to stop NetFlix queues cold. Put it on my queue based on someone's recommendation. Turned out to be a nice surprise. Funny, thought-provoking. Watching these artists at work is a lot more compelling than watching a writer at work. When I'm writing, I'm mostly just lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. (Sometimes I'm crouched over and weeping with self-pity.)

Rumble Fish was Francis Ford Coppola's quick follow-up to The Outsiders, based on a novel from the same author. Some cool flourishes in there, some nice character-study. Drags a bit with a feeling of aimlessness, but I can be pretty impatient.

Battlestar Galactica: Season 1, Disc 2 was the big one. I'd had that fucking disc sitting on my floor since sometime in June, I believe. At about 183 minutes, I couldn't bring myself to commit the time. I was looking forward to getting rid of this one. So many people are nuts about this show, I've felt left out of the pop phenom. It's a good show and I've enjoyed it, but the idea of getting through all six seasons is more daunting than ever. But now I'm past disc 2.

Paper Moon, like Rumble Fish, is one of those movies that I probably should've seen years ago. A little gem from Peter Bogdanovich. Tatum's a natural and it makes you sad knowing she's going to grow up to be a batty coke-fiend.

Now I'm back to watching all the bullshit garbage on my DVR. Hooray me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home