Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Tender Portrait of Men (by a Lesbian)


I saw an interesting Primetime story on Norah Vincent, a woman who lived as a man for a year and wrote a book about it called "Self-Made Man". Makeup, clothes, voice-lessons, transformed herself into Clive Owen. (The female drag version, at least.) Infiltrated all these male-only organizations. Earned their trust.

I think what's fascinating -- at least in the Primetime interview -- was that she actually came away with a much better sympathy/empathy for men. The premise of a lesbian dressing up as a man and sneaking into all these man-clubs would have you believe it would end up as a big man-hate-palooza, but her expectations were turned. She got to appreciate the difficulties. The separate set of gender rules. How the alignment of power shifts in the realm of heterosexual dating.

I hope one of my friends reads the book so they can tell me more about it without me having to actually read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home