Friday, March 09, 2007

kwyjibo


I've been playing a game of electronic Scrabble against computer A.I., and I'm up to the highest A.I. difficulty.

First off, it's humbling getting my ass kicked by many of the levels. I thought I was kinda good at Scrabble, but I'm really not, even when using internet anagram generators as a cheat. There's a certain element of chance in the specific letter tiles you're dealt -- and I'm always suspicious of computerized games of chance -- but even allowing for that, I've got to admit I'm not that great of a Scrabbler. I've been beaten by many of the lower and middle A.I. levels on this stupid game. The last level of difficulty, I just barely beat.

Which brings me back to the highest level of difficulty. Where the A.I. is rated as "PERFECT".

I'm in the middle of a game that I'm losing to the tune of 159 to 358. Why I'm bothering to keep playing, I don't know. But the goddamn computer just put down the word "opercele", and I'm all, "WTF is *that*?!" Playing electronic Scrabble, you're at the mercy of its programmed dictionary that's supposed to be the official Scrabble Dictionary, but there ain't no definitions. I like to think I've got an above-average vocabulary (better'nan'em hoople-heads, a'least), but this machine regularly throws me the kuh-raziest words I ever done seen.

So, I look up "opercele" and I can't find a definition.

Opercele...

OPERCELE...!!!

If anyone can retrieve a proper definition for this word for me, I will be mildly thankful.

Bonus points for proper definitions for these head-scratchers:

"OKEH"

"DAGGA"

"WORRIT"

"VAHINES"

Dreaming of houri as I feast on vicuna...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a variant spelling of opercule.

Ah, what is an opercule, you ask?

It is a lid or covering; specifically, for a fish, a gill covering.

5/16/2012 10:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home