Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Long War

I hate talking about going to the gym. I avoid talking about going to the gym. It's a personal/private thing. It's just something I do. It's something I've done fairly consistently for many years now. For me, it's like taking a shower or brushing my teeth: just because I don't talk about it doesn't mean I'm not doing it.

The worst is when it comes up in conversation and the person you're talking to says something to the effect of, "You still go to the gym...?" Incredulously. As if to suggest, "You don't LOOK like you still go to the gym..."

(For the record, if someone references going to the gym and I don't think they look like they've been going to the gym, I avoid pointing this out. Because I have a quantum of empathy.)

Just because you're going to the gym consistently doesn't *always* mean you're having the greatest workouts. Half the battle is just getting there, to be sure, but it is all too easy to plateau. Especially if you're not getting enough sleep and you're trying to squeeze in your routines while managing the hours of a day job.

Which is to say, I am enjoying the break of not having a regular day job again and I'm trying to exploit it by pushing a little harder at the gym. Every day is a reset. No matter what happened yesterday, the question is always, "How can we do a little better today...?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home